Scotland six Nations 2010 squad announced

For non-club related rugby things.
Drew
Site Editor

Post by Drew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:21 am

I do agree that Parks is probably our best chance of winning the game on saturday. My point really is born in frustration that i would like to see a more ambitious approach to the game. Part of the frustration is that Parks and Godman are maybe our only feasible options at the moment and that we are happy to settle for scraping through games by kicking penalties. We have the players outside who have the potential to score tries but i think that by picking Parks and Morrison we are admitting that we can't get the ball to them in a way that they need.

Given that the arguement is that the young stand offs don't have the necessary experience, would Saturday not have been the perfect opportunity to have Jackson on the bench and bring him on in the second half.

Morrison is solid in defence but having watched all of the Glasgow games for the last few seasons, more often than not, the ball never passes him !!

I think we are concentrating too much on keeping the opposition out rather than putting some effort into making them think how to keep us out. Shaun Edwards will be sitting down in Cardiff right now twiddling his thumbs because the defensive set up that he had for the last game against us will work again.

PS I desperately hope that i am talking a lot of rubbish and that Parks/Morrison go out and prove me wrong. I will gladly hold my hands up if that proves to be the case (prob even if we win 3-0!!!!)

morgan

Post by morgan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:22 am

I completely agree Ed. In alot of positions, a young guy is going to have to push a guy with 30 odd international caps out of the way to get game time at GLA/EDIN, which, unless the lad is some sort of wonderkid, is seldom going to happen.

Even if the team does get their ass handed to them in the Magners League, we need to provide a platform to regularly expose the potential starts of the future to that level and intensity of rugby. We have the pathway programme that everyone tells us is doing great, but if the guys dont get the first class game time we are not going to have new guys knocking on the door of the national team each season like what is seen in other countries.

How many players from this years NZ U20s will be really pushing the ABs in a year or two? Probably alot, because they are all playing Super 14 or Air NZ Cup, making them play to an even higher level than International U20s. As for our lads playing Scotland U20? 90% will be playing Prem 1/2 the following weekend. No comparison.

SRU needs to find the cash to improve the situation, or find a more cost effective way of doing it.
[url=http://official.sportnetwork.net/main/s604.htm][img]http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/161200583937.jpg[/img][/url]

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:08 pm

they need at least 1 more scottish pro team and throw a big sack of dough at London Scottish to help them to get into the tier just below the GP (is it the Championship they call it). And maybe into the GP after that, though this is V difficult with the parachute payments the relegated teams get.

Provisos would have to be put on London Scottish getting funding, such as an agreement to play X no. of Scots. Nevertheless the potential of a strong London Scottish helping the national side is very high. :idea:
"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on."
Joseph Heller

niall
Site Admin

Post by niall » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:27 am

team for italy:

Scotland: H Southwell (Stade Francais); S Danielli (Ulster), M Evans (Glasgow), G Morrison (Glasgow), S Lamont (Scarlets); D Parks (Glasgow), C Cusiter (Glasgow, capt); A Jacobsen (Edinburgh), R Ford (Edinburgh), E Murray (Northampton), J Hamilton (Edinburgh), A Kellock (Glasgow), K Brown (Glasgow), J Barclay (Glasgow), J Beattie (Glasgow).
Replacements: S Lawson (Gloucester), A Dickinson (Gloucester), N Hines (Leinster), A Strokosch (Gloucester), M Blair (Edinburgh), P Godman (Edinburgh), N De Luca (Edinburgh).

Apart from Danielli, the other two back line changes sort of picked themselves after the injuries. Suprised Richie Gray has been dropped from the bench though and that Jackson still is getting a chance from the bench (this would've been an ideal game for it)
admin - dalzielrugby.com
[url=http://www.dalzielrugby.com][img]http://www.dalzielrugby.com/images/logosmall.jpg[/img][/url]

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:34 am

I dunno about Jackson; it might be too early for him to play. He had a shocker with Glasgow on Friday night and clearly needs more 1st class experience at Stand Off.

Danielli is scoring tries at his club and has shown himself to be a finisher.

We're going to have to finish off our chances against Italy or it'll be a long afternoon. Just look at how the English struggled and you see that Italy have got resolve to stay in the game for 80 mins.
"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on."
Joseph Heller