THE LIONS

For non-club related rugby things.
teenwolf
THE LIONS

Post by teenwolf » Thu May 15, 2008 12:50 pm

OK - so Ian McGeechan is the coach and it's likely that Shaun Edwards will work with him.

Who's in your 36 man squad (that's how many geech said he'll take) on current form, etc.

Yeh I know it's really early to start discussing it, but what else is there to really get a bit of chat going??

TEST TEAM
1. Andy Sheridan
2. Jerry Flannery
3. Euan Murray
4. Nathan Hines
5. Steve Borthwick
6. Simon Taylor
7. Martyn Williams
8. Ryan Jones (captain)

9. Mike Blair
10. Ronan O'Gara
11. Shane Williams
12. Oli Barkley
13. Gavin Henson
14. Tom Varndell
15. Rory Lamont

RESERVES

Backs: Chris Paterson, Danny Cipriani, James Hook, Brian O'Driscoll, Eion Reddan, Chris Cusiter, Andrew Trimble, Tom Shanklin, Topsy Ojo, Geordhan Murphy, Josh Lewsey

Forwards: Gethin Jenkins, Rory Best, George Chuter, Donacha O'Callaghan, Jim Hamilton, Alun Wyn Jones, John Barclay, Jonathan Thomas, Michael Lipman, Jason White
"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on."
Joseph Heller

barryts

Post by barryts » Thu May 15, 2008 1:06 pm

Paterson? Murray? Taylor? Varndell????????? - What have you been drinking today mate?

Matt Stevens has to start.
Life is too short is it? Life is the longest thing you will ever do!!

RodHar
Site Editor

Post by RodHar » Thu May 15, 2008 1:33 pm

Agree with Barry on Matt Stevens. It's not easy picking a Lions calibre front row.

RodHar
Site Editor

Post by RodHar » Thu May 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Props Tony Buckley Andrew Sheridan Matt Stevens
Hookers Jerry Flannery Bernard Jackman
Locks Nathan Hines Jason White Donncha O'Callaghan
Alun Wyn Jones Steve Borthwick

Back Row Alasdair Strokosch Allister Hogg Jamie Heaslip
Denis Leamy Martyn Williams Ryan Jones
Tom Croft James Haskell
9 Mike Blair Danny Care
10 James Hook Danny Cipriani Shane Geraghty
Centres Luke Fitzgerald Andrew Trimble Gavin Henson Jamie Noon
Wings Sean Lamont Rory lamont Tommy Bowe
Shane Williams Paul Sackey

Full Backs Girvan Dempsey Geordan Murphy Lee Byrne Toby Flood

My first stab at a squad. Too many back row not enough front row back to my roots. Query centres.

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Thu May 15, 2008 2:09 pm

barryts wrote:Paterson? Murray? Taylor? Varndell????????? - What have you been drinking today mate?

Matt Stevens has to start.
OK - maybe not varndell to start, but he is a pretty classy finisher. I'm looking at wings with lotsa pace.

Stand by Murray, Paterson and Taylor. All crackin players with a lot to give.

Anyway get your own squad up! :P

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 285749.ece

Hadn't heard of Tony Buckley or saw him play, but he sounds pretty amazing.
"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on."
Joseph Heller

barryts

Post by barryts » Thu May 15, 2008 2:43 pm

Paterson can't secure a place on Gloucesters bench mate never mind a Lions squad. He has to prove himself as a 10 as no chance will he be just in the team to kick as they have O'Gara, Hook, Cipriani, Wilkinson who will all go and they all kick well. Paterson doesn't offer enough on the wing or at fullback, so he has to play 10 for a full year and develop to have any chance.

Ewan Murray is good, but we will see if he stands out in premiership next year with northampton.

Also Taylor has the ability, but needs to perform as so many other back row are ahead of him on form at the moment.

Varndell isn't even worth mentioning for a Lions squad mate.

Just my opionions mind guys.

Would have to sit down and have a real think about a squad, but to be honest i think it will be mainly English, Welsh and Irish again. Scots will have a few, but really strugle to see who would realistically make the test starting side apart from Blair who is the top 9 just now.

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Thu May 15, 2008 2:50 pm

Yeh apart from Blair the rest will struggle to start in the test team.

but i'm way too patriotic to pick a load of englishmen in my lions squad :lol:
Last edited by teenwolf on Thu May 15, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Heller

barryts

Post by barryts » Thu May 15, 2008 3:08 pm

You might wanna take the language out of that last post Ted! kids on here mind. :oops:

Wee Davie
Site Editor

Post by Wee Davie » Thu May 15, 2008 10:03 pm

Lions is not until next year lot of injuries between now and then but as usual it will be loaded with Englishmen even if they are rotten got to keep the money happy

rossi9!!

Post by rossi9!! » Fri May 16, 2008 2:33 pm

the only scots i can see gettin in are.....

2.Ford
5.White
6.Strokosch
7.Hogg
9.Blair
11.Evans ( depending on the argentina tour )
15.Lamont

most of these guys will just play in the reserve games tho!

we dont have enough quality backs to get into the lions!
definately no scottish centres or stand off's!!!

rossi9!!

Post by rossi9!! » Fri May 16, 2008 2:36 pm

we will start to see the outlines of the lions squad after the summer tours!
as all the bright youngsters would have been able to show themselfs at international level!

rod no way to sean lamont being in the lions squad lol !!! get nikki walker in lol ko !!

morgan

Post by morgan » Fri May 16, 2008 7:08 pm

I find it hard to see who will get in from scotland, apart from mikey blair who has to be a cert. he would be my starting 9.

if jason white pulls his finger out then he has a chance, but going on the 6N just passed i dont think he would make my 2nd XV.

strokosh has the ability but has to nail down the scotland shirt and prove he can perform at the top consistantly.

in my opinion ford is never a international class hooker never mind the lions. he is a big lump but his skills are poor.

murray would have to really rip it up in the prem next season. i think at scrum time he's took a bit of panelling in the last year on occasion, showing being built like a house isnt everything. and apart from that matt stevens is top class.

i would expect hogg to make the squad. taylor if he can stay fit and show some of the ability he's threatened to showcase recently.

i think paterson has alot of work to do to make the squad, and that work has do be done in the 10 jersey for edinburgh and scotland. i agree with barry he wont get in at wing or fullback just for kicking, he doesnt offer much there to be honest.

maybe lamont to make the tour squad at fullback , but not a given.

i know alot of folk seem to rate evans, but he has to do something in a scotland jersey. infact he has to get in the scotland jersey first. lets see what happens in argentina. i cant see it though.
[url=http://official.sportnetwork.net/main/s604.htm][img]http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/161200583937.jpg[/img][/url]