Teams thrown out Scottish Cup

For non-club related rugby things.
Roddy
Teams thrown out Scottish Cup

Post by Roddy » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:27 am

Hawks may have to play a cup game after all;

SEVEN clubs have been thrown out of the Scottish Hydro Electric Cup after failing to fulfil fixtures because many of their players were in Cardiff to support Scotland.

Strathclyde Police, Hawick Linden, Hawick Harlequins, Langholm, Duns, McLaren FP and Liberton have all been shown the red card by the Championship Committee of the SRU. In a letter to the clubs, the Committee, which comprises representatives elected from the clubs themselves, said: "This was a very difficult decision for (us) to take, in particular as the reason for the non-fulfilment was that your players wished to support the national team at their match in Wales.

edit by niall - split from this thread
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying" - Michael Jordan

niall
Site Admin

Post by niall » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:17 am

Seeing this made me think of something else about the cup, hence the splitting...

I was talking to Fuz about this, and I think the SRU have royally shot themselves in the foot. Aside from having ANY official games on the 6 Nations weekends (even worse that they did and had them with 3pm kickoffs), but that they have given next to no time between rounds in the cup competitions.

Everyone (except the SRU it seems) knows how often games are postponed in Scotland, and so there is generally always a backlog of cup games. However, in previous years this was ok given that the cup was much more spaced out, but this year we've got to wait for the round before to be played. It's crazy stuff.
admin - dalzielrugby.com
[url=http://www.dalzielrugby.com][img]http://www.dalzielrugby.com/images/logosmall.jpg[/img][/url]

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:24 am

Yeh, the fact that we're made to play fixtures on 6Ns weekend at all is very annoying. That said, i dunno what the alternative to this would be. They tried for a seazson or 2 playing games on sundays during the 6Ns and that was very unpopular.
"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on."
Joseph Heller

barryts

Post by barryts » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:45 pm

Life is too short is it? Life is the longest thing you will ever do!!

morgan

Post by morgan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:19 pm

Shocking decision there, you feel for the clubs.

There are two sides to the coin though. I would imagine McLaren FP and Liberton only have one senior XV, so a touring squad to wales would definately put them out the picture, so you feel sorry for them.

But on the other hand, im sure clubs like langholm, duns, & the polis have at least two senior XV's, did they have around 40 players in their tour party? Probably not, some may have just cancelled coz they couldn't put their strongest side out.

We'll im sorry, but if you have enough players to put XV on the park, then u have to play. This is almoast definately the case with Langholm, as they gave us the same story for a possible league re-match this weekend, saying "half" their 1st XV were in wales. So they did have players, just not the one's they wanted to play.

But apart from that i think its the league structure thats the main problem. Playing matches on international weekends is a pain, and is it only me who can see that its blatantly obvious WE CANT PLAY ~80% OF THE MATCHES SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY DUE TO THE WEATHER?!

January call-offs make this huge back log, the weathers bad enough the rest of the year. Start the season earlier (August), and in the two 1st months when lighting is good play 2 midweek games a month. By christmas there wont be much business to be done, so if games get called off early in the year there's still plenty of time to play them.
[url=http://official.sportnetwork.net/main/s604.htm][img]http://www.sportnetwork.net/mainadmin/img/161200583937.jpg[/img][/url]