Scotland to name 6-nations squad.

For non-club related rugby things.
teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:24 pm

RodHar wrote:....I think the SRU have seriuosly screwed with Taylor he's not half the impact player he used to be...think Barclay and Beattie are now doing what he USED to do and are doing it well.
Yeh, I think with injuries etc. he's lost a bit of the edge he used to have. Reading betweeen the lines i suppose that may have been some of the reason why he decided to head off to france. The best players playing in Scotland for too long can lead to complacency and loss of form, there wasn't a lot of pressure on him at edinburgh cos they weren't expected to win. playing in a winning culture as he is at SF Paris will hopefully help him to become a better player and rediscover his edge.

Has anyone seen much of him on Setanta when watching the top 14? I know he's out the noo with injury, but how's his form, fitness, etc. been?
"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on."
Joseph Heller

morgan

Post by morgan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:18 pm

I'd like to comment, since one of the main reasons i took out a setanta subscription on freeview was to watch top 14, but there has not been one game on this season!

actually thinkin of cancelling it as 90% of the magners league games are on setanta 2, which you only get on sky but pay the same £ subscription! I got setanta for magners league and top 14, which they promised, and all we get this season is 5 day old repeats of magners league games, which as an avid fan, the results of which i already know.

Agree with u eddy tho, I think the "i've made it" ego can cause players to stagnate in scotland with the lack of cometition, so france or england is a good option if these guys wanna be FORCED to improve.

Agree wit rod as well about Kerr - he just isnt good enough. Thats why I hope Ally Dickinson is learnign a hard trade at Gloucester, and in so gets a chance off the bench at some point in the 6 nations. Loose head is a problem, as although chunk (jacobsen) is solid at scrumtime, he gives little in the loose. And Craig Smith was an embarrasment at RWC 2007 when at loosehead, got nailed at scrumtime big style, regardless of what he can do crash ball.

morgan

Post by morgan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:52 am

tc x \

rossi9!!

Post by rossi9!! » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:04 pm

15. lamont
14.walker
13.henderson
12.de luca
11.evans
10.parks
9.blair
8.hogg
7.barclay
6.white
5.hamilton
4.hines
3.murray
2.ross
1.kerr

morgan

Post by morgan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:03 pm

Four additional forwards were called up for today’s Scotland training session in preparation for the start of the 2008 RBS 6 Nations Championship next month.

Props Craig Smith (Edinburgh) and Bruce Douglas (Llanelli Scarlets), hooker Dougie Hall (Glasgow Warriors) and lock Scott Murray (Montauban) were added for the squad session at Murrayfield by head coach Frank Hadden.

Hadden enlisted the experienced quartet following matches at the weekend. Unable to train fully today were prop Euan Murray (calf), lock Jim Hamilton (ankle), No 8 Dave Callam (shoulder/neck) and flanker Kelly Brown (shoulder).

Scott MacLeod (Llanelli Scarlets) took a limited part as he had played for his club in yesterday’s Heineken Cup tie against London Wasps. In addition Nathan Hines was not present today as he and his wife Leanne are undergoing fertility treatment.

morgan

Post by morgan » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:09 pm

So, on the face of it, would anyone change there starting XV with these guys now in the training squad?

Of the front rows, I dont think Smith or Douglas will get much of a look in, unless there are injuries by match day. Depending on match parctice maybe Dougie Hall could force his way into recognition? Dont really like him much but since Ross Ford aint the most talented would anyone think of sticking him in?

Scott murray obv had masses of experience, but would you include him considering how little he seems to do around the park these days? Personally i'd still have white, hines, and hamilton all in front of him tho.

But what do the rest of you guys think?

Not sure big Nathan Hines will be too chuffed to have evidence of him and the wife not having much success plastered on the SRU site right enough.

RodHar
Site Editor

Nathan Hines

Post by RodHar » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:53 pm

Wouldn't like to have been the consultant telling big Nathan he's a satsuma!!!

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:54 pm

jeezo - aye i thought that the fertility stuff was a bit much.

anyhow - none of those would make my match 15.

in other news - i'm heading over to dublin for ireland vs scotland. anyone else making the trip - i'm looking for a pair of tickets too so spread the news!
"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on."
Joseph Heller

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:01 pm

Drew & I (plus the wives and kids) are off to Rome, although Dublin is a great trip too.

If I hear of any tickets I will let you know.

Surely big Graeme is going over, but not just for the rugby :wink:
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying" - Michael Jordan

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:29 pm

ha ha - aye i'll speak to mr morrison on that one!
Joseph Heller

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:49 pm

So Hadden is talking up Phil Godman, does anyone think that he'll start against france at no10?

There are advantages to him and Blair playing together, i don't think he's the best individual that we have in that position, but it is about the pairing and they'll be more than the sum of their parts.
Joseph Heller

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:08 pm

Not had the chance to see Godman play - was not that impressed with him last year.

Might be Hadden doing some mind games with the squad and opposition as well.

I did catch Nathan Hines's MOTM performance at the week-end, it would be great to see him play like that for Scotland - wonder if he got any sledging about his fertility treatment! Although I think Danny Cipriani's opponents will have plenty to say to him!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 019062.ece
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying" - Michael Jordan

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:48 pm

oh that is total gold! :lol:
Joseph Heller