The Barn

For 1st, 2nds and 3rd XVs
Big Joycie
The Barn

Post by Big Joycie » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:19 pm

The barn's new surface is brilliant, warm, bouncy and great for playing fool contact, why not try it over the festive season, and hit the ground running in the New Year, the league tables don't read that well, I would suggest, its not the time to be missing out on some, full contact training that our competitors might not be able to do, so come on get to training. I'll try not to bleed on it, next time I go up.
(Lied about it being warm, it was colder than outside, but it did heat up very quickly)
TACKLE - RUN - TACKLE - RUN.
RINSE AND REPEAT

niall
Site Admin

Re: The Barn

Post by niall » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:04 am

Big Joycie wrote: playing fool contact
Was that an intentional typo?!

Now that I've been up at the barn, it certainly does look good. Certainly did react like moist grass, which with the knee still a bit fragile is brilliant. Obviously doesn't benefit me for contact at the moment, but it is a great addition to the facilities! Just need to buy a pair of mouldies now to use it properly!
admin - dalzielrugby.com
[url=http://www.dalzielrugby.com][img]http://www.dalzielrugby.com/images/logosmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:05 am

Agree with the above - took the S1 boys in last night and it was great to get them some contact after the festive break. I hope to try it out myself on Tuesday night....

Wonder if we could line the walls with something as I am a bit worried that one of the boys will be tackled into the brick? I know this is not a problem with the seniors but some of our boys still have their looks and own teeth!

We also need to devise some sort of rota to allow all squads some use of the barn.

I think the new ravenscraig site is going to have a full size (football) pitch of these which would be a great option for winter training. Perhaps the trust could convert one of the outside astro areas as I am sure it would generate money for them.
"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying" - Michael Jordan

Big Joycie

Post by Big Joycie » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:54 pm

Well said Roddy with all off your points. A rota would be very useful, The teams only really need to use the barn when they are actually doing contact, it could be shared much more efficiently. Stairs and a gate leading from the barn to the astro turf would be helpful. I think the surface is very expensive, that may mean that the whole park being converted may not be an option, but it would be great. Your right re the padding, even a solid white line round the edge maybe a foot inside the wall in the meantime to give a definate playing area would help a wee bit, till padding is put on.
cheers
TACKLE - RUN - TACKLE - RUN.
RINSE AND REPEAT

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:45 pm

I heard that the quote a few years ago was over £20,000 to do just the barn. even allowing for a wee bit of savings through economies of scale, it must be in the region of £60,000 to do a footy sized park in the stuff.

A 3G footy park could be a great earner for the complex. I'd think that it would be something that is being considered. mibbe it's worth raising it with our rep to the memorial trust.
"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on."
Joseph Heller

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:08 pm

The one at Hamilton is quoted as costing over £600,000 but this will include the costs of it being covered and changing facilities etc. It costs £35 per hour but is generally block booked for football in the evenings and at week-ends

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:11 pm

hmm, i might be a wee bit conservative on the costs then.

you could always just email someone saying you were looking into it and get a ball park figure for replacing astro with 3G astro. that'll be accurate to within about 10-15%.
"The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on."
Joseph Heller

Roddy

Post by Roddy » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:27 pm

Can you not email someone - you obviously have more time than me! :D

teenwolf

Post by teenwolf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:58 pm

Roddy wrote:Can you not email someone - you obviously have more time than me! :D
ha ha - nah - delegation is the name of the game Roddy :D
Joseph Heller