League Restructuring

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits in here
Decker
League Restructuring

Post by Decker » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:36 am

What does everyone think of the possibility of cutting the national leagues down to include only 20 clubs? Is this just another decision by the SRU with the dictate of the old tie brigade at heart or a plan to save clubs from extinction? Surely more than 20 clubs in Scotland can cope with the financial burdens of national leagues. I understand the lower national leagues being switched to regional leagues but this doesn't really solve the problems of clubs in the highlands and islands etc. I mean who the hell else is geographically close to them?! The SRU have again shown they are out of touch with the majority of the rugby players in Scotland......who doesn't love challenging themselves against the best in the country......maybe they find it hard to swallow that smaller regional teams out with the lauded few can actually progress up the leagues and stick it to these private school east coast (insert adjective).

khalidf
Site Editor

Re: League Restructuring

Post by khalidf » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:28 pm

The Dalziel's committee and the stance of all Premier 3 Clubs is that we want to play at the highest level we can nationally and do not support the notion of playing regional rugby and diluting the standard. Unfortunatly some folk in the SRU feel it approprate to tell us whats best for us. The summary has been issued to the press today but as yet no detail has been passed to the clubs other than the generic structure for next season and the total change the following year. We support the plan for next year, ie. regionalisation below National 1 (as this is what the clubs wanted) but not the plan for 2012/2013. Also reducing to 18 league games is an issue for us as I like to think we like playing 15-a side rugby, so an early finish to suit the Borders 7's is not for us!!