Hamilton Advertiser, March 20th 1981

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits in here
khalidf
Site Editor
Hamilton Advertiser, March 20th 1981

Post by khalidf » Thu May 13, 2010 4:37 pm

Came across a program from 14th October 2006. In it Jim Patterson included the cutting from the paper above, the last time Dalziel won a division in season 1980/81.

And their 2nd team made it a day to remember by winning the 2nd XV Division Two Championship by a crushing Old Alyosians 55-3.

The firsts dominated Satuday’s final league match played on a very heavy pitch. Playing up the slope, they opened the scoring midway through the first half following a line out in the Edinburgh half. The back row were stopped five meters short of the line and from the resultant ruck Paterson picked up the ball and drove over. Westmorland kicked the conversion. The University side reduced the leeway with a penalty just before the interval but Dalziel were soon back in command.

The referee disallowed two Dalziel Dalziel tries but let a third stand, Captain Alan Calder picked up a pass from Murning and then crashed over the line. Colin Westmoreland kicked the conversion to the delight of the large crowd.

On a day that wasn’t suited to open rugby, both teams tried to keep the game fluent, with the main difference between the sides being the play of Captain Alan Calder. When the University side threatened, it was Calder that relieved the pressure with some superb kicking.

Team – G Muir, J Nichol, L Charnley, G McCall, C Westmoreland, R McLatchie, A Calder, J Murphy, P Morton, K MacDonald, J Paterson, C Govan, D Baillie, D Reilly, A Murning. Coach Norrie (too late 10 press ups) Kerr.

Dalziel 2nd had to beat Old Aloysians by a mammoth score on Saturday to take the 2nd XV Championship and they did just that by 55-3. Tries came from Swanson (2), Robertson (2), Forrest, Shankland, Hood, Perry, Turner and Simpson. Conversions came from Watson (4), Barr and McLaren who also kicked a penalty
Last edited by khalidf on Fri May 14, 2010 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simple

Post by simple » Thu May 13, 2010 9:38 pm

Interesting article Khalid, cannae believe my old man and my uncle were playing that day for the two's.

Ian Watson

Post by Ian Watson » Fri May 14, 2010 10:00 am

Neil ,you are right it was your dad and myself in that team. If you look at some of the names mentioned on that day most went onto play with the first team. All outstanding players with plenty of pace!!!!! The article reminds that it is similar to this seasons, plenty of depth in the club. Funnily enough I was club treasurer that season as well!!!!:D :twisted:

Alan Thompson

Post by Alan Thompson » Fri May 14, 2010 12:54 pm

Ian Watson wrote:Neil ,you are right it was your dad and myself in that team. If you look at some of the names mentioned on that day most went onto play with the first team. All outstanding players with plenty of pace!!!!! The article reminds that it is similar to this seasons, plenty of depth in the club. Funnily enough I was club treasurer that season as well!!!!:D :twisted:
Well spotted Khalid. I had the honour of captaining the seconds that year and Ian Watson is right, there were some special players in that team. I also made the foolish mistake before the game of offering pints to anyone who scored. You can see from the list of scorers that it was easier just to buy a couple of jugs!! There was also a very memorable party at Al Murnings house that night. Make sure tonight is no different!!

peterjm

Post by peterjm » Fri May 14, 2010 2:15 pm

Al Murnings - it was so unfogettable that I have forgotten about it --- wait a minute is that not when Alan "I'm off to Accies" Poo Poo Perrie became Poo Poo Perrie and the polis arrived for a drink ie Big JC eh Winker ?